More than fifty years of Nursing Alumni Bulletins (beginning in 1935 and going up until 1995) have been added to the Jefferson Digital Commons.
The Bulletins were published by alumni of the Diploma Nursing program, which was started in 1891 as the Jefferson Hospital Training School for Nurses. The first class consisted of thirteen women and the program graduated more than 5,000 nurses by the time it disbanded in 1982. According to the 1891 admission requirements, applicants had to “be between 21 and 35 years of age” and those of “superior education, culture, and refinement” would be given highest priority. Upon acceptance, students went through a 30-day probationary period where they worked 14-hour days, starting with lectures at 7 AM. Once their probation was over they were allowed to wear the Jefferson nursing uniform, a floor-length pink cotton dress and a starched white cap and apron. Over the years the program went through a variety of changes, many of which can be seen in the Nursing Alumni Bulletins.