Access to Library Services & Resources
Jefferson Patients and Family Members
Includes/Membership Terms: All patients (and their family members) of Jefferson University Physicians or Jefferson Hospital.
Access to Scott Memorial Library: Access during public hours: 8 am - 5 pm, Monday through Friday (University holidays not included). Present a valid government-issued photo ID to the 1st floor Security Officer, sign in on the visitor log, then go to the 2nd Floor Service Desk to register.
Register for Library Services: Go to the 2nd floor Service Desk to obtain a complementary Guest Pass. With proof of current patient status (note from physician or nurse or invoice from a Jefferson practice), patients and members of patients’ family may receive a complimentary Guest Pass without paying the normal $7 fee per visit.
Passes are valid for one day only, for use until 5 p.m. on the date of issue. Individuals may obtain a maximum of 4 passes per month. An individual membership program is available for more frequent access.
If you leave the building during the day, you must show your Guest Pass and photo ID to the Security Officer to reenter.
- Use of the Library’s public computers and study space: Permitted with the paid one-day Guest Pass. All computers include access to the Internet and MS Office Software.
- Access to the Library group and individual study rooms: Not permitted.
- Access to the Library and Jeff Alumni Hall Computer Labs and Classrooms: Not permitted.
- Use of licensed content (databases, electronic books, electronic journals, teaching materials): Access to IP-based electronic resources is available on the Library’s public computers..
- Borrowing privileges for Library print materials: Not permitted.
- Inter-Library Loan service (ILL) for articles and books NOT OWNED by Scott Memorial Library: Not permitted.
- Document Delivery Scanning Service: Not permitted.
- Reserve materials and biomedical models: Not permitted.
Center for Teaching and Learning Services:
- Photocopy and laser printing: Ten cents ($0.10) per standard black & white page; twenty-five cents ($0.25 for color prints). See the printing and copying policies for details.
- Databases searches by an Information Services Librarian: Available for $60 per topic, plus any applicable online fees, for up to 25 topics per year.
Scott Memorial Library has access to hundreds of databases on a wide range of scholarly and popular topics. For more information or to request a search, contact an Information Services Librarian at 215-503-6994.
- The CTL conducts training sessions on the use of Library databases and research support technologies. These are subject to availability and no show fees may apply. See topics and details.
- The CTL also provides slides, photography, artwork and other biomedical communication support services. See price list for fees.
- Present your Guest Pass whenever requesting Library services.
- Report lost or stolen Guest Pass to Scott Memorial Library immediately.
- Follow all Library and University policies. Failure to comply with policies may result in loss of Library privileges and removal from the Library.
- Follow Food and Beverage Policy.
- Computer use must comply with the University’s Electronic Communication Policy.
For any questions regarding membership services or privileges, please contact:
Roderick MacNeil, Deputy University Librarian
Scott Memorial Library
Thomas Jefferson University
1020 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107