Thomas Jefferson University | 
University Archives & Special Collections

Information For

A Brief History of Thomas Jefferson University

<-- Back
Jefferson Medical College Buildings, ca. 1930s

Jefferson Medical College collage, ca. 1930s. (Art/Photo Collection, C9-045)

Jefferson Today

Since the beginning of the 20th century, Jefferson's campus has expanded enormously to include the following buildings:

  • Main Hospital Building (1907)
  • Thompson Building (1924)
  • Medical College and Curtis Buildings (1929 and 1931)
  • Foerderer Pavilion (1954)
  • Jefferson Alumni Hall (1968)
  • Scott Memorial Library (1970)
  • Edison Building (acquired 1973)
  • Gibbon Building (1978)
  • Bodine Center for Cancer Treatment (1986)
  • Medical Office Building (1986)
  • Clinical Office Building (1990)
  • Bluemle Life Sciences Building (1991)
  • 925 Chestnut (formerly Federal Reserve Bank, acquired 1999)
  • Hospital for the Neurosciences (formerly Wills Eye Hospital, acquired 2001)
  • Hamilton Building and Lubert Plaza (2007)
  • Health Professions Academic Building, 901 Walnut (2010)
  • JAZ - Jefferson Accelerator Zone: Dominic and Michele Federico Building (2014)

Aerial campus view, 1980. (Art/Photo Collection, C9-021)

Bounded by Chestnut Street to the north, Irving Street to the south, Ninth Street to the east and 11th Street to the west, today the University campus occupies approximately 13 acres.

Thomas Jefferson University earned national recognition after US News & World Report awarded Jefferson its best comprehensive medical school ranking in 1992 and 1993.