Course Orientation for Clinical Rotation in Integrative Medicine
Academic Year 2010-2011
TO: Students Participating in the Integrative Medicine Clinical Elective (EMRG-495)
- Daniel A. Monti, MD, Course Director
- Edwina Benson, Assistant to Director, Course Coordinator
RE: Integrative Medicine Course Orientation
Welcome to the Myrna Brind Center of Integrative Medicine Clinical Rotation.
The clinical practice of the Jefferson Myrna Brind Center of Integrative Medicine is located at 925 Chestnut Street, Suite 120. Dr. Monti’s and Edwina Benson’s phone number is 215-955-4410. Edwina Benson will email you prior to your rotation with the time she scheduled your orientation with Dr. Monti.
This practice supports over 10,000 visits annually. Full and part-time staff includes:
9 physicians, 2 acupuncturists, 1 massage therapist, 1 PhD level clinical nutritionist, 1 psychologist, 2 nurses, and 3 meditation teachers. Typical treatment plans “integrate” conventional medicine with complementary therapies; such as, therapeutic diets, nutritional supplements, herbal medicines, homeopathic remedies, acupuncture, massage, Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction, and others.
Because of the nature of this practice, students will generally accompany the physician or therapist during a patient encounter, rather than performing independent, extensive evaluations of patients.
The main physician faculty include Birgit Rakel, MD, Family Medicine and Integrative Women’s Health, Anthony J. Bazzan, MD, Internal Medicine and Integrative Cancer Care, Christina DiNicola, MD, Integrative Pediatrics, Bettina Herbert, MD, Pain Medicine and Rehabilitation, Bernardo Merizalde, MD, Integrative Psychiatry and Homeopathy, Andrew Newberg, MD, Director of Research, Jingduan Yang, MD, Director of Oriental Medicine, Acupuncture, Integrative Psychiatry. Occasionally, physicians’ schedules change which will alter the student’s schedule. When this occurs, the student should check with Dr. Monti who he/she should rotate with.
- You are required to wear your ID; white coat is optional.
- Reading: We will help guide your reading throughout the rotation.
Begin to peruse Complementary and Alternative Medicine for Older Adults, Elizabeth R. Mackenzie and Birgit Rakel and Integrative Psychiatry, Daniel A. Monti and Bernard D. Beitman, Editors. Books are located in Room #41 at the Center.
- On December 14, 2010, Thomas Jefferson University Library has ceased using Micromedex and has been replaced with Lexi-comp for all drug information. CareNotes (the companion product to Micromedex) will continue to be available on the TJUH Intranet under the “Clinican” tab “Patient Education” sections labeled “CareNotes (Internet)” and “CareNotes (TJUH).” Until further notice, TJUH will continue to subscribe to CareNotes as its primary patient education source. If you have any questions, please Contact Rachel Behrendt (215-503-6193) Rachel.Behrendt@jeffersonhospital.org.
- Spend time on the NIH National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine website at: http://nccam.nih.gov
- Review the didactic modules on the academic website as well as other information provided: http://jeffline.jefferson.edu/JMBCIM/education.
- MANDATORY ATTENDANCE is expected at our Integrative Medicine Grand Rounds and Clinical Conferences. They are held the first Tuesday of each month (Exception: No Grand Rounds 1st Tuesday in January). Grand Rounds is 8:00 to 9:00 a.m. followed by a Clinical Conference 9:00 to 10:00 am, second floor conference room, 925 Chestnut Street.
- View at least five (5) previous Integrative Medicine Grand Rounds’ lectures on the Academic website http://jdc.jefferson.edu/jmbcim_lectures/.
- You must complete a Rotation Evaluation Form and return to Dr. Monti the last week of the rotation.
- Please notify Edwina Benson @215-955-4410 if you will be away from the Center because of scheduled interviews, sick day, etc. and she will inform Dr. Monti.
Integrative Medicine Contact Information:
Daniel A. Monti, MD, Executive and Medical Director t: 215-955-4410
Edwina Benson, Assistant to the Director t: 215-955-4410
JMBCIM Clinical Tel: 215-955-2221 or 215-955-3032
Patient Coordinator: Cherie Floyd