Continuing Education Programs for Health Practitioners
Practicum in Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction for Professionals
This Practicum is for professionals who intend to teach Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) or who want to integrate mindfulness into their professional practice. It is modeled after the practicum offered at the Center for Mindfulness at University of Massachusetts Medical School.
Practicum participants will take an 8-week foundational MBSR course as participant observers. In addition, participants will engage in 10 seminar sessions with Diane Reibel, PhD, a senior MBSR teacher, and fellow participants to explore such questions as: “What draws me to teaching mindfulness or to integrating mindfulness into my work and what challenges do I face?” Participants will acquire a deep understanding of the transformative possibilities in teaching mindfulness. They will gain an overview of the streams of scientific and academic research surrounding mindfulness-based interventions. They will have the opportunity to practice guiding other Practicum participants in sitting and moving meditation and in facilitating group discussion and individual inquiry. Participants will develop the personal capacity to speak the truth from/of silence. There will be opportunities to explore ways to remain connected to the community of mindfulness professionals and to obtain further training.
The Practicum begins with a 4.5-hour seminar held one week before the MBSR class begins. The 8 weeks of the MBSR course begin with the 2.5-hour MBSR classes in the mornings, followed by 3-hour seminars in the afternoon of the same day. A full day of mindfulness practice is held during the week of the 6th MBSR class. Final meeting is a 4.5-hour seminar held the week after the MBSR course ends.
Meeting Site(s)/Location: Jefferson Center City Campus
Fee: $1600.00 (Limited financial assistance available)
Continuing Education Credit Hours: 60 CE hours for behavioral health care and allied health care professionals (Psychologists, Nurses, OT/PT). NASW-PA Chapter is a co-sponsor of this workshop and will award 60 CE hours to social workers for completion of this course. NASW has been designated as a pre-approved provider of professional continuing education for social workers (Section 47.36) by the PA State Board of Social Workers, Marriage & Family Therapists and Professional Counselors."
- A commitment to daily mindfulness practice is required
- Participation in at least one 5-day or longer silent, teacher-led, mindfulness meditation retreat
- Preference will be given to applicants who have attended the MBSR 7-day Residential Training/Retreat led by Jon Kabat-Zinn and Saki Santorelli, or who have completed an 8-week MBSR foundation course
How to Apply:
Please send your application with a $100 non-refundable application fee (application fee will be used toward your tuition if you are accepted into the Practicum):
Stress Reduction Program
Jefferson Myrna –Brind Center of Integrative Medicine
1015 Chestnut Street, Suite 1212
Philadelphia, PA. 19107
Attn: Diane Reibel, PhD
- Your current CV or resume, which includes information about your professional training and work.
- A letter which includes:
- What draws you to participate in the practicum.
- What your vision or intentions are for integrating mindfulness into your work.
- A description of your meditation training and your regularity of practice.
- A description of the silent, teacher-led, meditation retreats that you have attended.
- What experience you have with Mindfulness- Based Interventions (MBSR or MBCT trainings, participation in an MBSR course)
- A brief history of your psychological and spiritual development