About the Library
Teaching & Learning
Scott Memorial Library
1020 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107
Donate to the Library
Scott Memorial Library Collections
Scott Memorial Library and the Scott Building are named for Samuel Parsons Scott, a lawyer from Hillsboro Ohio who claimed to have been cured of a chronic respiratory ailment by a JMC professor. Mr. Scott bequeathed his personal library of over 8,000 books, along with an endowment, to Jefferson; the Library was dedicated to him in 1931. Scott Library moved to its current location at 1020 Walnut Street in August of 1970. The Library occupies 4 of the 6 floors of the Scott Building (take our brief tour).
In fiscal year 2012/2013, Library collections included more than 179,016 bound volumes and over 1,500 e-books and over 3,300 journal subscriptions available in full-text electronic format for remote access via the Library's website. In addition, a variety of popular best-seller books and magazines, medical education software and 3D models complement the Library's core book and journal collection. All book and nonprint materials are listed in our online catalog; journals in our Journals A-Z list and bibliographic or data databases in our Databases A-Z list. The Library's collection development policy governs the choices we make to acquire materials.
The University Archives, on the 4th floor of the Scott Building, acquires and houses important TJU records, manuscripts and personal papers, memorabilia, photographs, rare books and other historical materials.