As part of the effort to clear the library’s second floor of print journals to re-purpose the space for new study areas we moved the indexes and abstracts behind the Circulation Window.
These are volumes that aren’t part of online databases. For example, the National Library of Medicine has been steadily adding citations to Pubmed from the Current List of Medical Literature (CLML). As of November 2010 they had completed back through 1946. Use the print volumes to identify citations from 1941 through 1945.
So let’s say you’re researching PTSD. Search PubMed to discover this article from 1946 on “Combat neuroses; development of combat exhaustion“. Searching Google Scholar will turn up earlier references to journal articles whose publishers have digitized them or that have been cited in newer articles that are visible to Google. But this isn’t comprehensive.
Use a 1945 print volume of the CLML to identify an article on the topic from a journal that is on the 3rd floor, but isn’t online…
…about the role of physical and occupational therapies in the rehabilitation of veterans with war neuroses.*
Ask for these indexes and abstracts at the Reference Desk:
- Index to scientific book contents : ISBC (1986-1999)
- Index to scientific & technical proceedings (1978-1997)
- International Pharmaceutical Abstracts (IPA) (1964-1973)
- Cumulative Index of Hospital Literature (1950-1977)
- Hospital Abstracts (1963-1982)
- Cumulative Index to Nursing Literature (1956-1981)
- Nursing Studies Index (1900-1959)
- Bibliographia Medica (1900-1902)
- Army Medical Library Catalog (1948 – 1954)
- Catalogue of the Library of the Surgeon General’s Office, United States Army (1873-1874)
- Current List of Medical Literature (1941-1945)
- Index Medicus (1879-1927)
- Quarterly Cumulative Index (1916-1926)
- Quarterly Cumulative Index Medicus (1927-1956)
- Biological Abstracts (1927-1968)
- BioResearch Index (1967-1968)
- Science Citation Index (1955-1974)
* Knudson ABC. Physical medicine in the rehabilitation of patients with war neuroses. Arch Phys Med. 1945;26:336-48.